Thursday, November 20, 2014

On the Bright Side

Have you ever heard of Power of Mom's?
They're this great website celebrate woman in all of our roles.
I am a member of one of their learning circles.
I love that once a month I get to go and spend time with woman of faith
who are devoted to the calling of mother and wife.
Each month we have a new subject to focus on.
This month was being optimistic! 

I thought I would share some of the things that help keep me looking on the bright side.
Some are my original thoughts and other clicked at our last meeting.


1. Outlook!  
Being a mom is often thankless and the epitome of monotony. 
Everyday consists of dishes, laundry, vacuuming, kids fighting, etc...etc...
Realizing that all those everyday household duties is no small thing, in them we can
show an example of how it is important to care about someones temporal needs.
It is an act of service and love, just like teaching our children to read and pray.

2.  Parent the child you have, not the child you think you have!
This is huge!  We all have the dream of who our child will be and who they will become.
I never thought I would have a child who struggled with faith or one who struggled with mental illness.
I do and it is hard, but how much harder if I kept parenting them like they didn't have these trials in life.
Excepting who your children are not who you want them to be.

3. Speak up!
I was so mad at Justin for a couple of weeks,
 I had put the kids to bed by myself every night and I was tired of doing it.
I finally called him on it and was all like that's nice that you can read or whatever while I fight to get our
kids to bed!  He looked at me and said "I had no idea you were putting them to bed, I would come up and they would be asleep."  I was acting like a victim and was so focus on the injustice of it all that I failed to see
that all I had to do was ask him for help.  He was not ignoring me, because he was in his man room in the basement he had no idea   All it would have taken is me walking my victim butt down the stairs and to ask for help.

4. Optimism in Opposition!
One of my favorite things that Abraham Lincoln every said, 
  "It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!"
We all have bad days, no one can get away from this, but in those bad days knowing that they wont last
forever! well that's a blessing and something to hold onto.  Even in our darkest hours there can be joy.
Look for it and you'll see it, in a silly thing one of your kids say or a friend who is prompted to stop by.
"Men are, that they might have JOY"

5.  Exercise!
Oh man, I have been bad at this. 
I know how much it helps and I have set a goal to get back to the gym.

6. It's Okay!
It's okay if your child doesn't have a 4.0.  It's okay they didn't make the comp team.
It's okay if reading doesn't come naturally. It's okay if everything comes easy for your child.
It's okay if you don't bake and you hate to cook.  It's okay that the dishes are not done.
It's okay that the laundry may have somehow multiplied.
It's okay to say NO!
It's not okay to compare your hard to someones good.
Comparison robs us of optimism!

7. Time Out!
Plan a girls night, go see a show.
Take a hike or a walk.
Do something all pinteresty!
Just do something for you and recharge.
Also realize your kids and husband need to do this also!

8.  Clean!
The Lords house is a house of order.
I struggle with this one and have time periods when my house is spotless and moments
when it looks like we've been robbed by messy robbers!
I can say this, there are few things better than a clean house.
It makes me smile to walk into a kitchen that sparkles.
For me a clean home equals a clear mind.

9. If it's Broke Fix it!
Every so often look at your life and yourself and see what you need to work on.
If you can identify what's making you feel down or overwhelmed, take the steps to change it.
April Perry who wrote this months article wrote about  the steps she takes.
" When I (1) carefully examine my life, (2) identify what’s really wrong, (3) make a specific plan to improve it, and (4) think optimistically as I follow my plan, that is when I feel like dancing in the kitchen. Working 
toward our goals brings just as much satisfaction as achieving them. It’s sometimes painful, 
and it requires hard work, but action enables optimism."

10. Higher Purpose!
Probable the most important thing to stay optimistic in motherhood is to rely on the Lord!
He cares about every part of you life and wants to help.
If we open the windows of heaven in our life through scripture study, prayer, church attendance and 
enjoying the blessings of the temple, I know that our minds will be clear to receive revelation that will guide us and help us to see or own role and purpose.
Purpose equals optimism.

Like wise Satan is a big fat jerk and wants to wear us down, he wants to see us question are role as woman.
He wants to take away our optimism and joy, he wants us to doubt our role as mothers and see only
the hard everyday crap.  Rely on what you know is truth. 

"THE FAMILY is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed."
The Family: A proclamation to the world

To read the entire proclamation click here
To find out more about Power of Mom's Learning Circles click here
If you want to come and see what a Learning Circles looks like email or message me, 
we would love to have you.



No comments:

JustKemistry, our Family, Life and Love